Wednesday, May 15, 2013

What I believe- Final


What I Believe In...
Have you ever judged anyone, or been judged by someone else? In reality everyone judges each other or gets judged by someone else. People have been judging each other for years, but now we aren’t as bad as the people in the past. Making assumptions is something that I realized us human beings have. I felt that this was a major problem that needed to be fixed. We may not know it, but when we judge someone it can have an impact on them to push themselves or just bring them down.
People judging others date back to the 1900s. This was a time where america became industrial, and new trends started to take effect across the country. Looking back it was a great time for white people, but for immigrants it was a rough time. If you were an immigrant you were considered below American citizens. People used to believe that black people were not as intelligent as white people, but if you look in our time our president is an african american. People that kept picking on the African Americans pushed them to do better in the american society. 
Back in elementary school I was short and skinny, and people made a lot of assumptions about me. They all thought that I was really bad at sports because I wasn’t as strong, fast, or as tall as the other kids on my team. Whenever we lost a game the team would usually blame me for the loss. That really brought down my confidence to continue in basketball. I decided to take up other sports like soccer, and baseball. I really liked soccer a lot because I had really good teammates that made me feel better about my athleticism. I decided to go back to basketball and play a little more, but kids still thought I sucked. They kept telling me that I was to small to play, or that I was afraid of basketball because of every bigger fatter person that intimidated me. Thanks to my new found confidence in soccer I decided I wasn’t going to take this anymore. I began to run more often and train myself to play against bigger guys. In middle school I played in a mens league which ranged from 20-30 year old men. Before I knew it I wasn’t afraid of the big guys anymore. I played with sixteen to eighteen year old kids that were about six feet tall, and I was able to beat them as a five foot tall twelve year old. Parents and even bystanders would think that I was in high school too. Now when I see my former teammates around the courts they all fear to challenge me. I was now taller, faster, and stronger than them. 
It’s now my sophomore year in high school, and I’m now playing high school ball. I look back at all those things that I was told when I was younger, and how I made it from the bottom because all those insults made about me fueled my fire to do great. I try to reflect on what they did to me, and I try to not judge others before they beat me someday. I try to be humble and treat everyone the way that I would like to be treated. I try to look for kids that have a chip on their soldier, then I’d play them in a little one on one. Win or lose I hope that I make them think twice before they go out thinking that they can beat anyone they want. I just want to make a difference by using basketball to defend what I believe in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment